Friday, April 23, 2010

Let me paint you a picture of our nights…

It’s 11:30PM and you are in bed (the small, hard bed) trying to fall asleep, but you can’t. It’s freakishly warm in the apartment and your only hope is a cool breeze, so you open the window. No idea where the wind is blowing, but it’s definitely not in the direction of your window. Opening the window also means letting in the outside air and apparently there is a chain-smoking family on the balcony right above your window. Perfect. Just as you are about to finally drift off, someone’s viper car alarm goes off…again. The sound machine app on your iPhone is up so loud to drown out the noise from outside that it actually becomes a distraction and is no longer part of the solution but is part of the problem.

To all of you sleeping soundly in your air-conditioned houses with ceiling fans and pillow top mattresses – you’d think I’d envy you, but I don’t. There’s no where else in the world that I would rather be. In a few short hours I’ll wake up and have one more night down. I’ll get to go play with my son and be one day closer to having my whole family home with me…in my air-conditioned house with ceiling fans and pillow top mattresses.

-Cort

5 Comments:

At April 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Beautiful post. We are still cheering you along!

 
At April 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll be home and all will be amazingly perfect before you know it!!

Love,
Misty

 
At April 23, 2010 at 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! We remember those very hot nights as we were in Almaty in the middle of the summer. You put it so eloquently - it is the most amazing experience ever. Having the opportunity to bond and stay in your child's country is something to treasure.
Jen, Bert & Ruslan

 
At April 25, 2010 at 8:06 AM , Blogger lisa said...

Don't you LOVE that ambiance app?? I can't sleep without it! I just found a battery powered fan at Walmart...it's the first thing I packed!

 
At April 25, 2010 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That was an awesome post. You both are exactly where you need to be.

Been eaten alive by bed bugs yet??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home